Saturday, November 29, 2008

Wal-Mart Worker Trampled to Death on Black Friday

I really don't know what to say about shoppers busting in the door at Wal-Mart and killing a man. I thought it might be one of those "urban legends," but I checked. The New York Times reported on the Wal-Mart Black Friday death.

I like a good deal as much as the next person, but I don't like to save a buck or two enough to shop on Black Friday. This year I slept in as I do typically on Black Friday. I don't think I've ever done a shopping spree the day after Thanksgiving, because I've heard the "stories."

Last year my brother got up at some gosh awful hour like 4 a.m. to get to town and wait in line to get a deal on a laptop computer. Of course, he did not end up with the great deal computer. And, he said that folks waiting out in the cold for voucher slips were ugly - even in the South where manners are considered pretty important.

"Ugly" is one thing. Busting in the doors and killing a man is quite another thing.

When I was reading up about the Wal-Mart death, I noted that this was a guy who was in his 30s and also that he only landed a temp holiday job. Good grief. A few bucks for the holidays cost him his life.

There are some notes online about Wal-Mart not doing what they should do to protect employees. Frankly, I can't imagine that Wal-Mart (or any store) should expect shoppers to bust in the doors and walk all over an employee.

Times are tough. I know that. But, there's no excuse for this type of shopping frenzy. Nothing that Wal-Mart sells could be worth the life of a man who was only trying to do his job.

My heart goes out to the family of the man who died standing behind the doors at Wal-Mart, and I hope that the shoppers who rushed the door will think about what is really important in this world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its sad to see how savage people can be. Literally walking on people to save a few dollars on material goods?? Insane...